QA test for L10N

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 18:53:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 14:28 +1000, Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
> Domingo Becker さんは書きました:
> > 2010/1/7 James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com>:
> >> The QA team doesn't provide/build the compose images, that is a service
> >> provided by release engineering.
> >> Looking at the dates you mention, the
> >> current F-13 QA schedule [2] shows that F-13-Alpha will be available for
> >> translation testing at that time.
> >
> > Don't ask translators to build a live image from rawhide.
> > Based on my own experience, it will go wrong.
> > I was never able to make a 'Live CD from rawhide' work. Something
> > always goes wrong when booting.
> > It seems that development people starts from an early installer and
> > uses the update system since then.
> >
> > But if we use the Alpha compose to test, and our corrections and
> > improvements will be present in Alpha 2 or Beta compose to check once
> > more, that's ok and may work well.
> > We will need that packagers pay attention to our commits to their repositories.
>
> 'Compose alpha candidates' date is 2010-2-18, while 'String freeze' date
> is 2010-02-16. Alpha composed this timing may not contain most of
> new/updated translation strings for review and correction, no?

As far as I understand, if the compose happens after the string freeze,
the alpha should contain all frozen translation content.

> >> Additionally, there are nightly
> >> rawhide live images available [3] if testing against more recent updates
> >> is desired.
> >>

> > If these nightly rawhide live images work, it would be good.
> > But packagers would have to pay attention to our commits in order to
> > rebuild their packages with newer translations as soon as possible.
>
> It is said that having a 'nightly-composes of 5-Mar-2010' image
> available for certain period is possible [1]. Someone can give a hand on
> this?
>
> [1]:https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2010-January/msg00019.html

If there is a specific image you need for l10n testing, I'd recommend
submitting a request to release engineering for guidance on hosting the
image.  Several folks could host the image on their fedorapeople.org
pages, but I'd suggest starting with something more formal and rel-eng
can advise alternatives.

https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/newticket

Thanks,
James