translate.fedoraproject.org cannot find any catalogue

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Wed Nov 17 23:06:51 UTC 2010

On 11/14/2010 05:06 PM, Thomas Canniot wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a few question about all this:
> - why isn't publication not automated like it is for website ofr example?

We are working towards a greater level of automation, but this requires
us to have a version of Publican available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
5 (since this is the OS on the web server), and we have dependency
issues that have prevented this so far. You can track progress on this
work here.[0] Once this is complete, translators should be able to
publish their work with two commands on the command line: a "publican
package" command to build an RPM package of the document and a "koji
tag-pkg" command to tag the document for release on the website.

However, I doubt we will ever implement a system where automation will
attempt to publish a translation as soon as completion reaches 100% --
the nature of XML is such that even when a translation is 100% complete,
it might include tagging errors that break the XML structure and prevent
a document from building at all. Furthermore, given the length and
complexity of these documents, no document (in English or in
translation) should ever go live to the public until it has been built
and proofread, which means some kind of deliberate, manual process.

> - is there still "a bug in Publican when publishing books on a system
> where the locale is not set to American English (en-US)"

We believe the bug still exists, but the problem is poorly understood
right now, because we on the Publican team haven't researched it
properly.[1] Last week, Piotr posted to docs-list to report that typing
"LANG=C" in your terminal before running the Publican commands seems to
work around the problem without logging in under the en_US locale [2],
which makes sense.

I'd love to hear from translators who can verify the bug and verify that
the workaround works. There are some instructions in that first email I
linked.[1]

Cheers
Ruediger

[0] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Automating_publishing