Licensing of transifex.net translations

Dimitris Glezos glezos at indifex.com
Mon Feb 21 17:06:15 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor at ukr.net> wrote:
> Exported from transifex.net Fedora translation files have the following
> licensing message in the header:
>
> # This file is distributed under the same license as the PACKAGE package.

This is what exists in the POT file -- Tx just uses the POT file to
generate the rest of the files. The developer needs to change it to
something which makes sense for his project.

> What is the licensing of all Transifex translations?

The Fedora teams on Tx are covered by the CLA, so please refer to the
CLA for more info. Other than that, the translator holds the copyright
and the translations are licensed under the same license of the
project.

One of the *future* bits which might affect licensing is the
translation memory -- a feature which will help translators see how a
similar string was translated in the past. A lot of people are arguing
a translation memory shared across open source projects will increase
quality, quantity and consistency across projects. We're still unsure
how this will work though. It seems everyone has a different opinion
on how to do it: Some argue that the safest and easiest way seems to
be to re-license under BSD, others prefer not to use a TM at all.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos