Fwd: Re: [Fedora-legal-list] Credit loss in Fedora translation files

Runa Bhattacharjee runab at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 17 03:50:50 UTC 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Fedora-legal-list] Credit loss in Fedora translation files
Date: 	Fri, 13 May 2011 09:55:22 -0400
From: 	Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com>
To: 	Runa Bhattacharjee <runab at fedoraproject.org>
CC: 	legal at lists.fedoraproject.org

On 05/10/2011 01:12 AM, Runa Bhattacharjee wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  Translation files submitted via http://fedora.transifex.net removes all
>  information related to the copyright of the content as well as the names of the
>  previous translators. As far as I can understand, the translated content for the
>  Fedora packages and documentation are governed by the rights as indicated for
>  the main package and/or documentation. I'd like to know:
>
>  @ if there could be any implications of legal nature at this point due to the
>  loss of credits, and

> From a strictly legal standpoint, the answer is no, because the
copyright notice is not required, nor does the absence of the notice
mean that the work is suddenly no longer under copyright (if copyright
applies to the work at all).

With that said, it is however very useful and important for these
credits to be retained, and I have personally reached out to Dimitris
Glezos at Indifex about this, and several other outstanding issues of
concern. Indifex is putting priority on resolving these problems
(including this one and the Google Auto Translate concern), and I am
awaiting a quote so that we can look to enter into a financial
relationship with Indifex to resolve these issues in a timely manner.

~tom

==
Fedora Project