Fedora 17 Installation Guide and Installation Quick Start Guide ready for translation

Jack Reed jreed at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 06:50:53 UTC 2012

Thanks for pointing this out, Alick. I will need to update the Zanata
files with the translations made over the last month on Transifex. Due
to logistical issues at my end, the files currently on Zanata are one
month old. Updating them should, if I understand correctly, merely
entail pulling the translation files from Transifex and pushing them to
Zanata.

Before I do that though, I will need to disable submissions to the two
guides on Transifex. As per Dimitri's explanation in [1], I should be
able to do so at [2] and at the equivalent URL for every file.

However, I'm forbidden from accessing that URL. Might I need to be the
owner of the project to disable submissions? Can anyone give me any
advice on this?

In the meantime, could all translators please refrain from working on
the Installation Guide and Installation Quick Start Guide in Zanata so
that when I upload the updated files, your work isn't overwritten.

My apologies for jumping the gun on this. Hopefully this can be sorted
out quickly though.

As for why these guides have shifted to Zanata, there are a couple of
reasons:

1) Transifex can't handle the long filenames that the sheer size of the
Install Guide necessitates, so we have to maintain some kind of mapping
between the filename and the Transifex module names. This requires a
massive amount of manual handling.
2) Pushing and pulling the 800 small files that comprise the Install
Guide across the 20+ languages that we have partial translations for is
prohibitive as the connection keeps failing.

It's a shame that we have to use another platform for these guides, but
it's sadly unavoidable. I'm hoping to make the process as painless as
possible, particularly once these initial hiccups are cured.

Thanks,

Jack

[1]
http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/trans@lists.fedoraproject.org/16196152.html