UK Ambassadors meeting minutes 2014-10-23

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 20:43:10 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Thu, 2014-10-23 at 21:08 +0100, Jon Archer wrote:
> We will organise another meeting soon.

I'm really sorry I didn't make it to the meeting - I just got back from
uni. I went through the logs to see what happened at the meeting. I'm
quite new to the scene here, so I don't have much to contribute really.

Increasing Fedora presence at event is obviously a good idea. I don't
think I can take much time off my PhD though to visit places, unless
they're on weekends - my supervisor won't be too happy - but I can do
regular one hour IRC workshops if you folks think that'll help? Stuff
like:

- getting started with Fedora contribution?
- getting started with Fedora packaging?
- getting started with Fedora QA?
- how to generate stack traces and file bugs?

If we have folks that interact with people at universities, especially
undergraduate computer science students, we could even do simpler
workshops like programming - it's still a medium to spread Fedora, since
our set up will be Fedora based:

- using developer tools - git/vim/emacs/gdb/gcc/c++/python/basic socket
networking/LaTeX/..? (basically anything in their syllabuses that is
Linux based)

I've only been here for 20 days and I haven't started with my
teaching/tutoring responsibilities yet, but when I do, I think I should
have more of a chance to interact with younger students to learn more
about their requirements and how we can provide Fedora as a solution.

I did my first check on freemedia tickets from the UK - we have 6 of
them open[1]. I'll try and take care of them next month - I'm still at
temporary accommodation and I hope I'll find a house to move into by the
end of the month - I should be more regular with my contributions once I
move to a stable schedule.

I'm sure you're all aware of this already - we do have a Fedora join
channel and mailing list set up - you're more than welcome to send any
newbies to either. Unless I'm travelling, I should pretty much always be
on IRC[2].

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/freemedia/search?q=United+Kingdom
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Join_SIG
--