Another Fedora-supporting web site

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Mon Nov 17 13:45:20 UTC 2003

Am Mo, den 17.11.2003 schrieb shrek-m at gmx.de um 11:21:

> $ yum -C search <package>
>
> $ man yum
> -C     Tells  yum  to  run  entirely  from cache - does not download or
>               update any headers unless it has to  to  perform  the
> requested
>               action.

Oh, thanks a lot, shrek. I knew that one. But have a look:

# time yum -C search office
Downloading needed headers (so it /looks/ to me, as if it still wants to
                            access the net. I'm always online, so I
                            haven't really tested it yet.)
real    0m11.465s
user    0m5.780s
sys     0m0.900s

Now I unplugged my machine from the net:

# time yum -C search office
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Looking in available packages for a providing package
No packages found

So with the -C option you can only search installed packages! Did you
try that out before sending this mail? :-)

# time apt-cache search office
real    0m5.398s
user    0m3.010s
sys     0m0.880s

Apt-cache is twice as fast, the output is more clean and the description
is included, too.

So my vote still goes to apt.

Christoph