converting user to linux

Martin Stone martin.stone at db.com
Tue Apr 27 14:50:15 UTC 2004

Jay Daniels wrote:
> has anyone tried to convert someone to Linux, how did it go?

I tried to convert my family to Linux, and ended up converting us all to Mac.
Funny but true.

Seriously, though, if you put some work into creating a desktop for her that
only has shortcuts for stuff she'll use, and simplify it down so she doesn't get
confused or shoot herself in the foot, I could imagine it being OK.  I don't see
how it could be worse than XP... I find that once you get it set up properly,
and if you never leave X, KDE/Gnome desktops are fairly easy to use.  The only
really super weak spot I have found is office software.  Openoffice, abiword,
staroffice, all look just plain awful to me.  Then again, I'm not much of an
office guy...