Xorg resolution

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Apr 18 23:05:52 UTC 2005

    As much as I like psychedelic colors and other weird looking
screens, this is not one of them.  After running lean servers for years,
I finally decided to load up a new machine with FC3 and XWindows (and
choose KDE for this.)  So, here I am putzing along and noticed that if I
leave the screen resolution at 800x600, everything looks and works
fine.  However, as soon as I try to bump that up to 1024x768 or higher,
I get what you see in this image: http://www.yeehaw.net/Fedora.jpg

    The monitor I know is capable of resolutions upwards of 1280x1024 so
I know that's not the issue here.  The video card in the machine is also
capable of high resolutions (it was running WinXP before at 1280x1024,)
so it's something else.  Anyone have any pointers of what to look for?

    My xorg.conf is attached for those who want to take a gander at it.
(Note that I had to remove anything higher than 800x600 from it so it
would work.)

--
H | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6