Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Fri Feb 4 17:15:17 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Fries" <Kevin at hcico.com>
To: "Rahul Sundaram" <rahulsundaram at gmail.com>; "For users of Fedora Core
releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: Has anyone dumped udev for devfs?

> The real bitch in all of this is that I am trying hard to eliminate
> Windows in our workplace, and this incident set us way back.  Because
> Linux will not talk to a basic scanner, I just got "schooled" on why
> Linux is imappropriate for all business use.  Everyone in the forum
> knows that this is crap, but we are talking about business not technical
> people making the final decision (account not me writes the checks).
> This is why beta (and udev is late alpha early beta stage) software
> should not be in a stable distro tree!!!!  This is business 101 people.
> ~ How can we battle the Microsofting of our networks, with all its
> security nightmares, if we can not offer an alternative that can talk to
> a basic scanner, webcam (for video conferencing), etc?
>

> | devfs is a bad alternative for above mentioned reasons. file bugs in
> | bugzilla.redhat.com against udev
> |

> Further reason this was a bad decision.  Don't make the step forward
> until you know the ground can hold your weight, or you just might find
> yourself in a freefall.
>
> - --
> Kevin Fries
> Network Administrator
> Hydrologic Consultants, Inc of Colorado
> (303) 969-8033    FAX: (303) 969-8357

I have to agree with Kevin on this.  I am really amazed at the whole udev
debacle.  To me it seems that we are trying to adopt a form of "Plug and
Play" for Linux.  While the concept is cool, I wonder if it is really
necessary.  What I mean is, the old method (tons of files in /dev) Just
Worked(TM).  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now having said that, I am not a programmer so I am not sure how much work
it has been to keep all of those special files.

Thomas