How come? - re: fedora-package-announce at redhat.com ?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 1 13:58:56 UTC 2006

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Just wondering.  I only have Fedora Core and Extras repositories in my
> yum (including develop etc repos).  fedora-package-announce has sent me
> about 5 announcements about upgrades while yum actually upgraded 11
> packages.  Shouldn't the numbers match?

The announcements relate to the update of a source package, which, when
built, may produce multiple subpackages.

For instance, the hplip announcement yesterday covered hplip, hpijs, and
libsane-hpaio, which are all built at the same time from the same source
package. So it's expected that there would be more packages than
announcements.

Paul.