FC5, Firefox, NFS /home

Dan ml at mutox.org
Tue Jun 20 23:57:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, June 20, 2006 6:31 pm, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> Using /home as a network share is inherently insecure, and for reasons
> you have just discovered, doesn't work very well.

NFS /home works fine. I have been doing it for years and years on
different systems. There *are* security issues involved with doing this,
but the benefits outweigh any potential issues.

> If you are sharing a $HOME directory among multiple machines or users,
> you will invariably run into gotchas like this, and with many other
> dotfiles too.

Not really. GNOME works fine operated like this (it didnt for many years).
Evolution is another which appears to work fine.

Cheers,

Dan