Locate with exclude?

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Sun Feb 18 10:17:18 UTC 2007

El Domingo, 18 de Febrero de 2007 11:01, Anne Wilson escribió:
> I generally use locate to find a file, but I have /mnt/FC4root
> and /mnt/FC4/home, and dozens of 'finds' are reported that are not
> relevant. I'd like to use locate, telling it to ignore/mnt/FC4*, but
> nothing in the man pages tells me that this is possible.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to searching while excluding large areas like
> this?
>
> Anne
I had the same problem some years ago when I had a linux router on my bedroom
and locate made so many noise when running in the midle of the night.
So I decided to change the hour, by default is at 4:00 AM (that's not the
point, I know, but this is my email and my history :-) )
And the second decision I took was to optimize the directory i wanted updatedb
to scan.

If you take a look at /etc/updatedb.conf you will see:
PRUNEFS = "auto afs iso9660 sfs udf"
PRUNEPATHS =
"/afs /media /net /sfs /tmp /udev /var/spool/cups /var/spool/squid /var/tmp"

Just add the paths you want updatedb to do not index and then export
PRUNEPATHS, run updatedb by hand and then try again with locate
Hope this helps
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

be used for urgent or sensitive issues.