F8 is an excellent release!

Mike C mike.cohler at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 19:46:10 UTC 2007

D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh <at> mimosa.com> writes:

> I would suggest:
> 	cp -p passwd group shadow gshadow OLD/
> The -p preserves file attributes.  I use it on most cp commands I
> issue.
>
> I always regret the fact that I forget to copy my sshd host keys over.
> But I always forget.

Thanks Hugh - I guess that really helpful documentation giving step-by-step
instructions is really valuable particularly for newcomers - but even for
old hands this kind of how-to does help - I find it takes ages to find
help at times on specific issues - though there are web sites that hold
how-tos but they are often not kept up to date.

I will try to write this as a web page at some point but it needs cleaning
up and preparing properly - which does take time - so when there is time
it will get done - I guess we forget that lack of time is often the reason why
good docs are not always available!

I guess the priority is to get the code all working which is often the ultimate
underlying reason that other stuff does not get done!