[fedora-list] How to add a new section in logwatch report

Donald Russell russell.don at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 20:19:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 10:05, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:46:10 -0800
> Donald Russell wrote:
>
> > Now that I've actually done it once, it seems pretty simple... so why did
> it
> > appear so complicated in the doc? hmmm.
>
> Well, what gets me (and still does I think) is the utter inability
> to guess which logfiles get processed for which services and which
> lines from the logfiles are selected as "belonging" to some service.
> Nothing in the docs gave me any idea of the overall top down
> flow of log processing.

That's true enough... I suppose I "lucked out" because I just want
"messages" which is conveniently pre-configured to mean /var/log/messages,
and /var/log/messages has the messages I'm interested in because the app I'm
interested in uses a basic logger -t <servicename> command to write there.

It also seems there are more directories for the scripts and config files
than necessary... when a directory contains only another directory, it makes
me wonder: Do we really need this other level?