Belkin Wireless USB Adapter not working

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Dec 12 22:52:35 UTC 2010

Suraj Polade writes:

> As my desktop did not have inbuilt Wireless, i have bought the Belkin
> (Model F7D2101 v1) wireless adapter,
>

> but this adapter is not detecting in Fedora core 13, does any one knows,
> how to make it work
>

> Thanks in advance for your help

Have you tried using Google to help yourself? If you did, using Google to
search for "Belkin F7D2101 Linux" quickly returned a bunch of hits. And the
very first search result offers two possible answers, as far as Fedora is
concerned:

1) This router is not supported by the default Linux kernel, it does not
have a kernel driver for it; the Ubuntu-specific hack needs some non-free
drivers in the Ubuntu kernel, from some unspecified source.

2) It is supported by the stock kernel, but it needs a firmware file.

Which one is the case can be determined simply by looking at your
/var/log/messages, and seeing if the kernel is asking for the firmware but
can't find it, when it boots, hence no support. If that's the case, the
first hit on Google gives you a good tip on the whereabouts of the firmware
file.

And, if installing the firmware makes no difference, I don't see any other
option.

Generally, before buying any hardware, some brief investigation with Google
is highly recommended.