Fedora 12 and 11 KDE - No Sound

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Feb 3 19:02:07 UTC 2010

Chris Ross wrote:
> The only audio things I can see in "ps ax" are pulseaudio and artsd. Is
> the latter is supposed to be running? Wasn't the point of PulseAudio to
> replace it? I certainly haven't started it deliberately, does it just
> get started automatically if you ever run a KDE3 app and thereafter stop
> sound working for KDE4? Surely not!

artsd gets started up for KDE 3 apps, to support KDE 3 sound events and, in
some cases, sound output from the KDE 3 app (though not many aRts-using apps
are left). It only gets started up when you run a KDE 3 app. And it
shouldn't be monopolizing the sound device. Please check that you have alsa-
plugins-pulseaudio installed (aRts picks up the ALSA PulseAudio device which
that plugin sets up). It also defaults to terminating automatically after 60
seconds of inactivity.

        Kevin Kofler