Machine hanging during video encoding process

Steve Malenfant smalenfant at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 14:24:38 UTC 2010

I got a Shuttle XPC SN78SH7 with an AMD X2 4400+ which I have installed with
Fedora Core 12 (not much choice, the nvidia chipset doesn't work in released
before that, including Centos 5).

I've been trying to run Handbrake for about 3 times now, the machine just
completely stops responding with not even a trace of anything. The monitor
goes black so I can't really see where it stopped.

I've configured lm-sensors and sysstat but I guess I need to record the data
every X seconds to see where it would hang. Maybe the cause is heat or
something else.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks.