F12: Yum - network disconnects spins it's wheels.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Feb 25 23:21:30 UTC 2010

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Seems to me, that Yum is performing quite
> badly.  I often get network disconnects and Yum
> keeps spinning after going into 0.0b transfer rates
> forever and requires a forced kill.

Ahhh....  If you are getting network disconnects then any application
yum, firefox, etc. which connects to a remote server would certainly
suffer.  Some apps/protocols may recover better when the network is
restored.

So, are you saying that in your case the network connection is dropping
frequently and yum isn't recovering as you'd expect?

Or....
> Anyone see this problem?
>
> I am of course using NetworkManager, and wonder
> if I should use the old-network connectivity style?
Are you saying you're having frequent network disconnects, but you don't
know why, and you are trying to solve that problem?

--
Sigh. I like to think it's just the Linux people who want to be on the
"leading edge" so bad they walk right off the precipice. (Craig E.