Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 06:01:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Felipe Contreras
> <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, what happens if I choose to stay subscribed, but decide to turn
>> mail delivery off? Well, I can send mails, but I will not get the
>> replies.
>>
>> So no, the drawbacks of Reply-To munging are not limited to non-subscribers.
>
> If you subscribe to a list but opt not to receive emails from that
> list, you are not a member of that list's community and your desires
> and needs should not be catered to.

I think we have different definitions of community. There's definitely
a Fedora community, but no fedora-users, or fedora-games,
fedora-libguestfs, etc.; those are *mailing lists*.

Balkanizing communities based on which mailing lists the people are
subscribed sounds to me like a stupid idea. It's in Fedora's best
interest to have a community as unified as possible.

Or to put it another perspective; I think we only loose if
fedora-devel ppl say: oh, you are from fedora-games, you don't belong
here, we don't care about what you have to say.

--
Felipe Contreras