cannot boot from USB stick using boot.iso

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Jul 11 02:50:13 UTC 2010

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 22:15:04 -0400
"H.S." <hs.samix at gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

> I burned boot.iso to my 256 MB USB stick using dd command:
> sudo dd if=Downloads/boot.iso  of=/dev/sdd
>
> and got the image contents in /dev/sdd1. However, the computer does
> not detect that USB stick as bootable (my motherboard can and does
> boot from a USB stick) and booted from hard disk.

...snip...

> In both the above cases, the boot flag for sdd1 or ON.
>
> I also copied the Fedora netinst.iso image to the USB stick and tried
> with that, no luck there either.
>
> What I am I doing wrong here?

I would expect the dd to work fine. Does your bios have a choice of
booting from usb-cdrom and usb-hd? Have you tried both settings?

Failing that, how about a medialess install?
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html-single/Installation_Guide/index.html#ap-medialess-install

Or a boot.fedoraproject.org install?
see: http://boot.fedoraproject.org/download

kevin