encrypted disk/partition

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jun 1 03:37:50 UTC 2010

fred smith wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 01:29:10PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> fred smith wrote:
>>> in F13, Anaconda seems to allow encrypted partitions ONLY if you use LVM.
>>> If I set up the disk as simple partitions with no lvm/VG/raid, how can
>>> I realize encrypted partitions or even whole disk?
>>>
>> If you do configuration manually IIRC there is an 'encrypt' checkbox for each
>> new partition you create.
>
> Hi Bill!
>
> Um, if you're talking about the manual partitioning in Anaconda, then
> yes, you're correct, but if you explicitly delete the LVM/VG stuff from
> the proposed partitioning scheme, that checkbox becomes greyed. Sorry,
> that's what I had intended to say above, but I wasn't explicit enough.

Yes, I hit the "manual partitioning" option and do it my way, which doesn't
involve LVM. And making just one partition encrypted is sometimes useful.

> [OT]
> Does anyone here besides me remember the large ad in (Byte???) from the
> late eighties with a photo of Bill in it, advertising a C compiler
> for DOS from a certain large corporation? :)

Ah, old sins never die. And the hair was on the top of the head at that point.
Still living in that 1886 Victorian house, though, married to the same woman.
But not working for the same large industrial manufacturer, so my software
choices are my own.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>