Correct instructions for installing NVidia proprietary driver on Fedora 13? (WORKAROUND!)

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Tue Jun 1 22:13:50 UTC 2010

> On 31.05.2010 21:36, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> > Since nothing has been figured out about this issue that I'm having yet, I
> > thought I'd give you a lot more detail about my system:
> >
> > Main System: SuperMicro SuperWorkstation SYS-5046A-XB
> > Motherboard: SuperMicro Super C7X58
> > ICPU: ntel(R) Xeon(R) QuadCore CPU E5504 2.00GHz
> > Memory: 8GB of RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
1333
> > (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit
> > Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9600 GT (512MB of DDR2 memory on board.)
> >
> > Like I've said elsewhere in this thread, the proprietary nVidia drivers from
> > rpmfusion worked great on this same system under Fedora 12.  I even used the
> > same instructions TRYING to get it to work under Fedora 13 that I used to
> > SUCCESSFULLY get it working under Fedora 12.
> >
> > Also, both my Fedora 12 and my current Fedora 13 installs were full installs
> > from the DVD.  They were NOT upgrades, I completely wiped out the previous
> > Fedora install.
> >
> > Steven P. Ulrick
>
> Hey,
>
> Do you have vt-x (virtualisation) enabled in your bios?
>
> If so, Try adding "iommu=soft" to the end of kernel line in
> /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> poncho

Hello Everyone,
Adding iommu=soft to my kernel line did not help.  (Well directly it didn't.
Indirectly...)  That gave me the idea to go into my BIOS and disable the
following:
(Under Advanced Chipset Options):
Intel VT-d
Intel I/OAT

(Under Processor & Clock Options):
Intel(R) Virtualization Tech

I then rebooted, and now the nVidia driver works on my system!  So, is there a
regression somewhere with the way that Fedora deals with virtualization
technologies that are a part of the processor itself?  If anyone knows of a bug
that fits the scenario laid out in this thread, including the changes that I made
that allowed it all to work again, please let me know.  If not, tell me exactly
what component a bug should be filed against.

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: I intend on playing around with my BIOS in the near future to see if I
really need to have all three of those options disabled.