Sound server gone - Solved

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 4 18:39:21 UTC 2010

Well, I had a motherboard toast the built in video interface,
though the machine otherwise seemed to work ok. I pulled out
the discs, and stuck them into a spare box I had lying around,
and pulled the other interesting peripherals, like the CD-ROM
and DVD-ROM drives, etc, and rebooted. After some chit chat with
kudzu, the machine came up, and everything worked. Except the
built in sound peripheral on the motherboard. Now, this is odd
because it's just an ordinary '97 style chip.

After some significant period trying to get this to work, I
tried the GNOME SystemSettings->Soundcard Detection and
that found and made it work. That's very odd, since the
hardware was previously detected, and showed up in the
BrowseHardware.

Anyway, after fiddling for months, a simple click has made
my sound, like the cat, come back.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.