How do I associate *.jnlp files to Java Webstart (javaws) on GNOME?

Andre Costa blueser at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 15:23:49 UTC 2010

Hi Brian,

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:53, Brian Millett <bmillett at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 10:53 -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 05:05, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
> > wrote:
> >         On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 21:48 -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> >         > the thing is that when Chrome downloads a JNLP file it by
> >         > default saves it somewhere on the filesystem, and offers a
> >         "Open"
> >         > option, along with a "always open files from this type". If
> >         I use the
> >         > "Open" option, JNLP file is opened on gedit, and if the
> >         "always
> >         > open ..." checkbox is checked, clicking on a JNLP file link
> >         also opens
> >         > the file on gedit. This is why I believe some additional
> >         client-side
> >         > mime-type configuration is needed.
> >

> >         If you gave some examples, people could look and see if it
> >         works for
> >         them, or whether /that/ site was broken.
> >

> > Well, I tried. On my 2nd reply I said this:
> >

> > "All JNLP links behave the same. Try this one for
> > example:
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorialJWS/uiswing/learn/ex6/CelsiusConverter.jnlp
> >

> > Remember: it works on Firefox, so you should really try with Chrome
> > (and Nautilus, once you've saved the JNLP file locally)."
> >

> > This, combined with the explanation above, and the description on the
> > original post (note that I am the one who posted comment #34 on
> > Chromium issue), pretty much sums it all AFAICT. Let me know what
> > additional info you need and I'll be happy to provide.
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> > Andre
>
> Ok, so I downloaded the jnlp file to the desktop.
> I am using sun's java:
> java version "1.6.0_19"
> installed under /usr/jdk
>
> I right clicked on the CelsiusConverter.jnlp file.
> In the dialog box, I selected the "Open with" tab.
> I clicked the Add button.
> Select "Use a custom command" and entered /usr/jdk/bin/javaws.
> Closed all dialog windows.
> Double clicked on the CelsiusConverter.jnlp icon on the desktop.
> Javaws lauched the app and I converted temperatures.

Thks for the info. You checked the "remember this application ..." checkbox
as well when you made the association, right?

I am at work right now, so I won't be able to test this for a couple of
hours. Just for the record, There's already a 'javaws' command on my "Open
with..." list for JNLP files, and I already tried permanently associating
files to it, to no avail. I'll try to remove this javaws definition and
recreate it as you did, to see if anything changes.

BTW: here at work we're using Ubuntu 10.04 (which also uses GNOME 2.30). I
just tried launching the CelsiusConverter.jnlp from nautilus (file browser)
and Firefox opened as the preferred application (!?) -- but it correctly
handled the JNLP file, opening it through javaws (but, of course, I don't
want to have Firefox as intermediary ;-)). I then tried to do what you
described:

- right-clicked the JNLP file and opened the "Open With > Other Application"
dialog
- added a custom 'javaws' command (with absolute path)
- marked the "remember this application ..." checkbox

When I clicked the "Open" button on the file association dialog, javaws was
launched. But, double-clicking on the JNLP file launched Firefox again :-(
(indeed, the first option on the right-click popup menu  still is "Open with
Firefox web browser")

?! :-(

Regards,

Andre