Installing and configuring USB Wireless for rt2870? [SOLVED]

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon Jun 7 18:59:07 UTC 2010

On 06/05/2010 04:26 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 06/05/2010 02:49 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>
>> Seems that there are fragmented sources of information
>> on the Internet on how some people were seemingly able
>> to get the rt2870 USB Wireless to work on Fedora and I
>> am trying to do the same, but without much success.
>>
>> Can anyone point me to a definitive site that can explain
>> how this could be done?
>>
>> What I have done so far is:
>>
>> 1) yum install rt2870
>>     Installed: kmod-rt2870-2.1.2.0-6.fc12.19.i686
>>     Installed: rt2870-2.1.2.0-2.fc12.1.noarch
>>     Installed: kmod-rt2870-2.6.32.12-115.fc12.i686-2.1.2.0-6.fc12.19.i686
>>
>> 2) Step (1) above is not enough as one seemingly
>>     has to also install the rt2870.bin firmware from
>>     site: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2,
>>     and the link:
>> Firmware RT28XX/RT30XX USB series (RT2870/RT2770/RT3572/RT3070)
>> <http://www.ralinktech.com/license_us.php?n=2&p=1&t=U0wyRnpjMlYwY3k4eU1ERXdMekF6THpNeEwyUnZkMjVzYjJGa01UWXpPRGs1T0Rnek5pNTZhWEE5UFQxU1ZESTROekJmUm1seWJYZGhjbVZmVmpJeUM%3D>
>>     + copy rt2870.bin from "RT2870_Firmware_V22.zip" to:
>>         /lib/firmware/rt2870.bin
>>
>> 3) Configure the wireless network device via:
>>     System->Administration->Network
>>
>> I can ping the wireless device on my local system, but I am not able
>> to connect to the wireless base-station and to the network...
>>
>> If there is any additional info I can provide to make this work,
>> please let me know!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Dan
>>
> I wanted to add something else here...
>
> It seems that I was able to create an auto-wireless
> setup via NetworkManager, but there seems to be
> a problem.  I am required to use WPA/WPA2 Personal
> connection, and I have set it up and added the passphrase,
> however, when attempting to connect, I am given a
> popup asking for only WEP choices - I am never allowed
> to choose a WPA/WPA2 Personal passphrase from the
> dropdown list.
>
> What to do?

I discovered some things:

1) System->Administration->Network
    + Add Wireless hardware device: Make SURE that you are
       choosing the Wireless device and assign device to: "ra0",
       not "wlan0" - somehow this did not appear as "ra0" at
       first.  Perhaps a reboot cleared this up?

2) Use NetworkManager's tray icon and choose the base-station
    as it appears in the NM list. An auto-generated "auto SSID"
    is created.  The default settings is mode="Infrastructure"
    and with DHCP.

3) If you want a static connection, edit the NM Wireless-tab
    configuration for the current SSID on the top-most list,
    and choose 'Manual' instead of 'dhcp', and save.

When I attempted to changed the mode to 'Ad-hoc' and the dhcp
to 'Manual', it would not take. A newly auto-generated profile was
created, leaving the previous setting behind.  So the next time, I left
mode to default as "Infrastructure", changed the dhcp to 'Manual'
and it worked.  I guess I do not need 'Adhoc'...

So at this point, it seems to work well!