problem booting windows on a flash stick via qemu

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 14:19:22 UTC 2010

On 06/21/2010 05:30 AM, David Timms was caught red-handed while writing::
> On 21/06/10 14:30, JD wrote:
>
>>     I have a 16GB flash stick which I boot up via
>> VirtualBox without any problems. But when
>> I try to boot it with qemu:
>> qemu -hda /dev/sdd -m 256 -vga std
>> I get the blue screen of death.
>> $ rpm -q qemu
>> qemu-0.12.3-8.fc13.i686
>>
> I am of course just guessing:
> While windows users don't usually get involved in this, ms do install
> one of a small number of kernels to suit the "hardware" they are
> installed on.
>
> To test you might like to install a fresh copy using qemu, just to make
> sure it can work, and then take a look at any difference in the kernel
> used by each install.
>
> I believe some have solved it by copying the win hardware profile while
> running on the original vm, then boot that up, and delete all hardware,
> and then shut it down.
>
> On new host, select the "empty hardware profile"; win might invoke the
> new hardware wizard to get it all going.
>
> (The other one I've come across in going from vmware to qemu/virt host
> is no support for split hard disk images.)

I thought the windows HW wizard automatically detects new hardware
and proceeds to install the drivers for it.
I have seen it do this many times. It's like taking your hard drive
and putting it into a different PC and booting it.
Windows will come up and try and install new HW drivers if different
from the PC on which it was installed.