Another funny update?

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Jun 22 04:11:02 UTC 2010

On Monday, June 21, 2010 10:30:24 pm Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 15:17:14 -0400,
> >
> >  Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > (Snip) So, finally, 4 days after the kernel update, a corresponding
> >
> > nvidia
> >
> > > kernel module was provided. Not a word anywhere as to why the module
> >
> > wasn't
> >
> > > provided with the kernel as usual.
> >
> > Did you ask on the RPMFusion lists?
>
> No, but I have a pretty good idea of what I'd be told there. They'd say
> that their business is to teach how to install kmod-nvidia correctly and
> that if I want to install Nouveau, I should ask Fedora. Wouldn't it make
> sense?
>
> If the people who provide Nouveau weren't on an ego trip and cared about
> their product, they'd provide instructions on how to install it, just as
> RPMFusion does. The fact that the NVIDIA driver is not open source is
> irrelevant.

the fact that nvidia is not open source is completely relevant.  have you read
the four foundations of fedora http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations if
not you should. the first one is freedeom.  its text is

Freedom represents dedication to free software and content. We believe that
advancing software and content freedom is a central goal for the Fedora
Project, and that we should accomplish that goal through the use of the
software and content we promote. By including free alternatives to proprietary
code and content, we can improve the overall state of free and open source
software and content, and limit the effects of proprietary or patent encumbered
code on the Project. Sometimes this goal prevents us from taking the easy way
out by including proprietary or patent encumbered software in Fedora, or using
those kinds of products in our other project work. But by concentrating on the
free software and content we provide and promote, the end result is that we
are able to provide: releases that are predictable and 100% legally
redistributable for everyone; innovation in free and open source software that
can equal or exceed closed source or proprietary solutions; and, a completely
free project that anyone can emulate or copy in whole or in part for their own
purposes.

which nvidia binary blobs do not fall into.

Please take up any issue you have with the nvidia drivers with either nvidia
itself or the provider of the kernel module you are using.

We have developers working really hard to make things just work in a
completely free and open way.  they are fight a tough battle that is part of
what defines fedora for what it is.  I honestly don't care if you think we
should support nvidia binary blobs or not.  Fedora is not going to support
them as it violates the openness and freedom that is core to what fedora is.

To use Nouveau you do not need to do anything special it just works out of the
box.  im not sure what you are trying to get at by attacking the hardworking
people who are developing it but its really not welcome here. Please ensure
that you think of the fedora motto when posting here "Be Excellent to each
other"

Dennis