differrence between 'yum remove' and 'yum erase'

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 13:05:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Alexander Volovics <a.volovic at upcmail.nl>wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 06:24:57PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > On 06/23/2010 06:22 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> > > 'info yum' does not supply any more details with respect to
> > > remove/erase then 'man yum'.
>
> > Erase is just a alias to remove.  Zero differences.
>
> Again thanks Rahul.
> Maybe the developers should remove this 'redundancy'.
> Including both does suggest there might be a differrence.

I agree.  This can certainly be a cause for confusion for users coming from
Debian (or Ubuntu, etc) where there's a distinct difference between erase
and purge.  It seems yum's interpretation of either remove or erase is the
same as apt's purge option, while apt's erase option ... isn't an option
with yum.

erase - Remove all package files saves those that are marked as
configuration, allowing the administrator to reinstall the package later
with configuration already in place.

purge - Completely remove all package files, including those marked as
configuration files.

--
Chris