get-fedora export restrictions

Peter Larsen plarsen at famlarsen.homelinux.com
Thu Jun 24 02:40:13 UTC 2010

According to the get-fedora page, the following restrictions are in
effect when downloading/distributing Fedora:

== Quote ==
Export Regulations
By clicking on and downloading Fedora, you agree to comply with the
following terms and conditions:

Fedora software and technical information is subject to the U.S. Export
Administration Regulations and other U.S. and foreign law, and may not
be exported or re-exported to certain countries (currently Cuba, Iran,
Iraq, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) or to persons or entities
prohibited from receiving U.S. exports (including those (a) on the
Bureau of Industry and Security Denied Parties List or Entity List, (b)
on the Office of Foreign Assets Control list of Specially Designated
Nationals and Blocked Persons, and (c) involved with missile technology
or nuclear, chemical or biological weapons). You may not download Fedora
software or technical information if you are located in one of these
countries, or otherwise affected by these restrictions. You may not
provide Fedora software or technical information to individuals or
entities located in one of these countries or otherwise affected by
these restrictions. You are also responsible for compliance with foreign
law requirements applicable to the import and use of Fedora software and
technical information.

== Quote Ends ==

While I'm not a lawyer by any means, I thought the sanctions against
Iraq were lifted in 2004??

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/iraq/iraq.pdf

Quote: "On July 30, 2004, the President issued a new Executive Order
13350 effectively lifting the sanctions against Iraq and expanding
the authorities of E.O. 13315 with regard to the former Iraqi
regime, including an Annex containing the names of parties
blocked under this order. These names have been incorporated
into OFAC's SDN list."

I'm not sure who's responsible for the legal language in regards to the
restrictions here - but I see nothing in that document that talks about
restricting IT or talking to an Iraqi about IT? Even export to Iraq is
allowed as long as there's an approval from the Department of Commerce.

Now - I may be wrong here about the restrictions when it comes to Iraq.
If I am, my final comment would be why get-fedora doesn't block
downloads from the countries mentioned? Isn't that in violation of the
listed terms?

--
Best Regards
  Peter Larsen

Wise words of the day:
 need help: my first packet to my provider gets lost :-(
 sel:  dont send the first one, start with #2
* netgod is kidding