Comments on the fastestmirror plugin

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Fri Mar 12 21:07:48 UTC 2010

> On 12 March 2010 14:08, Patrick O'Callaghan<pocallaghan at gmail.com>
> However AFAIK what it *actually* does is make a test connection to
> the to the candidate mirrors and order them according to response
> time, which in many cases is dominated by network latency, which
> can distort the results. For well-connected user machines in
> first-world countries it probably doesn't matter much

The fact that yum-fastestmirror ignores bandwidth when selecting
mirrors is annoying for high bandwidth machines too -- I regularly
find that yum selects mirrors which have low latency but whose
bandwidth is very poor, which requires a manual update to the exclude
list.

My wish would be that yum-fastestmirror can be configured with an
"expected" bandwidth (or figure it out by itself), and have it
automatically switch mirrors if the current mirror isn't up to snuff.

Cheers,
Raman