Sandisk USB stick with U3

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 22:53:00 UTC 2010

On 03/14/2010 03:30 PM, Dale Dellutri wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 5:37 AM, Mick M. <off_by_1 at yahoo.com
> <mailto:off_by_1 at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello;
>      I had a friend come over with a USB stick.
>     I had put Mint linux on his laptop, and now he could not write to
>     the stick.
>
>     I realized it was a Sandisk with their stupid U3.exe stuff on it.
>     I went through this last year and used a Windows program to remove
>     the U3 stuff and reformat it.
>
>     Is there any way to do this in Linux?
>
>     I remember I used fdisk to make it ext2, and formatted it.
>     It still would not work.
>

> You could use parted <device>, where <device> is probably /dev/sdb
>
> Remove all the partitions, then re-create one as FAT32 if you want to
> be able
> to read it with a windows system, otherwise ext2.
>
> I just did this with a USB flashdrive that had an extra software
> partition.
>
> --
> Dale Dellutri

I have a sandisk USB stick with the U3 stuff on it and I have no problem
reading and writing to the USB stick under F12.  I plug the USB stick
in, it shows up on my desktop and up pops the file browser window and i
can copy to/from it just fine.  I have the ntfs-3g and fuse packages
installed and it all works.

Paolo