Kickstart installations and printer pre-configuration in Fedora 13

Peter Schwenk schwenk at math.udel.edu
Mon Sep 6 01:32:48 UTC 2010

Thanks for the reply.

On Sep 5, 2010, at 7:49 PM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> Peter Schwenk <schwenk at math.udel.edu> writes:
>> I was wondering if someone could describe the correct way of
>> preconfiguring network printer queues via a script.  I don't want my
>> users to have to set up their own printers.  Thanks in advance for
>> your help.
>
> I'd like to know what the approved way is too.  Setting up cups seems
> like one of the grottier aspects of running a handful of identical
> Fedora systems on a network.
>
> So far I've been hacking it via "scp -p" from a preconfigured and
> working system. I update:
>
>  /etc/printcap
>  /etc/cups/*  (anything with a mod-time after I installed the system).

After I posted my question, I decided to try just copying over the /etc/cups directory of a correctly configured computer to another computer and restarting CUPS.  It seems to work fine.  All I need to do is run lpadmin to set the appropriate default printer for the machine.  I guess I just wasn't certain if there were any other files that play a role in printer configuration.  I didn't think of /etc/printcap.  I guess I'll throw that one in, too.

--
Peter Schwenk  ||  Campus IT Associate 3
Mathematical Sciences  ||  University of Delaware