OT - Command line manipulation of sound files

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 7 01:53:19 UTC 2010

I attacked the seemingly simply task of producing an audio CD from a
collection of MP3 files and  have concluded that it's not as easy as it
sounds. UNLESS GUI front ends are used!  I would much rather stick with
CLI because scripting works better that way.

I decided that the first step must create a .wav file for each .mp3.  I
found many scripts to do that; kept coming back to the very simple

    mpg123 -w outfile.wav infile.mp3

That has worked fine for all the mp3 files I've given it, producing .wav
files that play properly with the command

    play outfile.wav

Further, the .wav file will be played properly by VLC Player AND if
chosen by k3b as a file to be written to an audio CD, that CD will play
fine in the original factory CD player in my '98 Chevy pickup.
BUT I have spent most of today finding and trying, then rejecting
command-line solutions for writing to CD.
 From http://sharkysoft.com/tutorials/linuxtips/cdcommands/
I find this one

    cdrecord -v -pad speed=1 dev=5,0,0 -dao -audio -swab *.wav

Which yields cdrecord: Inappropriate audio coding in '$first_file.wav'

Then, from
http://www.pallier.org/ressources/linux_howtos/linux_howto.html#tth_sEc24 we
have

    cdrecord dev=5,0,0 -pad speed=0 -audio *.wav

Which doesn't work, either.

Again, I have no problem with k3b EXCEPT that I must manually select
which songs to burn to the CD rather than let a script do it ... and
surprise me.

Any ideas?

Thanks!