Build bash 3.2 rpm package

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Sep 23 23:00:36 UTC 2010

Bruno Galindro da Costa writes:

> Sam,
>
>    When you mean 'nuke all other files' what do you want to mean? Delete
> all other files?
>
>    If I download the source package (e.g. bash-3.2-24.el5.src.rpm for Red
> Hat 5), install it, grab only the spec file and put it in
> /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, put all other files in
> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory and try to do a rpmbuild -ba
> /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/bash.spec, could it work?

Yes. And you will end up with a perfectly valid bash rpm package.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to install it. That's because the
package will install /bin/bash, and you already have this file installed by
your existing bash rpm. This is the fundamental function of rpm: to
prevent different packages from installing conflicting files and
overwriting each other.

And not just /bin/bash, but also the corresponding man page, the locale
files, and all other files that you seen when you run "rpm -q -l bash".

That's why I told you that you need to modify the spec file so that the
final bash binary gets installed as /bin/bash3, so as to not conflict with
your existing bash interpreter, as well as remove all other files from your
bash 3 rpm package, so that the only thing that your newly-built bash rpm
would install is /bin/bash3.