Rdesktop - Machine hanging problem

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Aug 1 12:44:38 UTC 2011

On 08/01/2011 08:02 PM, Rajender.M wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I installed Fedora core15 in our host machine which contains the rdesktop version1.6.0
> When i try to connect to the remote machine using rdesktop the machine hangs and we need to do a hard reboot every time. We tried to install the same version in another machine and same thing happened in that machine too.
> Since rdesktop is a normal user space application; such "cannot" hang the machine. So most likely the problem is with the Fedora15 os as with the Xorg server or may be any other reason.
> I dint find any body reporting the same problem in the web and i need to resolve this issue. So please can any one help me in this regard.

Try the same thing on a different window manager (as in not Gnome3,
which I suspect is what you were using at the time) and see if you get
the same results.

Lately when things hang the desktop manager can be capturing all input
from the single seat available, so while the underlying system isn't
actually "frozen" in the Windows sense of being really locked up, access
to the system from the single-user desktop interface is not effective.

This can be tested by logging into the same machine over SSH when you
run your test. If the SSH connection is still responsive then the system
didn't hang, the DM did. If the remote shell also becomes frozen, then
you have found a deeper problem.

-Iwao