No Gnome 3 for me

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Fri Aug 5 08:27:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 07:51:09PM -0700, John Wendel wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. When I run the Nouveau driver, I get the Gnome
> "fallback" version. And I see a console message that says that there is
> no 3D hardware acceleration. I've got the same software versions.

You mentioned that you have a GeForce 7300 card.
All GeForce 7300 (GT,GS,LE,SE and PCIe or AGP) cards have "3D hardware
acceleration". They should be recognized as such when booting F15.
What does 'lspci -d 10de:' say.

You are running the Nvidia driver. This requires a 'nomodeset' entry
in the kernel line of /boot/grub/grub.conf (if I remember correctly).
To switch to the nouveau driver you have to disable the nvidia driver.
Have you checked if the 'nomodeset' entry has been removed.

Also have a look at
system settings->system info->graphics->forced fallback mode->on/off

Alexander