Audio CDs not mounting

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 8 14:11:03 UTC 2011

Ed Greshko:
>> Well, as Tim & I have said....you can't mount an Audio CD.

Darryl L. Pierce:
> Sure you can!

'fraid not...

> (inserts Kirby Krackle's "Super Powered Love" CD in drive)
>
> (gets dialog from Gnome, selects "Open folder")
>
> (shown folder of WAV files)
>
> Granted, it's not visible from the command line as a file system, but
> the CD is mounted and accessible.

It's not "mounted."  "Mounting" has a specific meaning, that refers to
putting a file system on your file tree.  This isn't happening, and
can't happen - as there's no file system on an audio disc.

And there are no WAV files on a CD.  What you're seeing is an interface
that "pretends."  It's giving you an interface in your file browser that
lets you pick a track on a disc, then do something with that track,
depending on what features are built into your browser.

Behind the scenes, if you double-click on a track, an audio player
application is told to play that track.  Or, if you drag the track
somewhere, an audio-ripper is told to rip that track to a file.

All of this is done through a handler that makes it look like you're
directly dealing with files on some disc, but it's not.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.