Gnome 3: change wallpaper via commandline

Jitesh Shah jitesh.1337 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 04:46:47 UTC 2011

..snip..

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Jatin K <ssh.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 08 August 2011 09:47 PM, Jitesh Shah wrote:
>> I have a pictures directory and a cron script that changes my
>> wallpaper every hour. For this, I need a way to change the wallpaper
>> via commandline.
>>

> try this[1] script
>
> http://pastebin.mozilla.org/1293995      make it executable and run it

The script has the following lines in it:

conf_client = gconf.client_get_default()
conf_client.add_dir("/desktop/gnome/background", gconf.CLIENT_PRELOAD_NONE)
conf_client.set_string("/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename",
xml_file_path)

As I said in the first email, this (gnome-control-center doesn't use
gconf anymore to store background image information) has stopped
working. I haven't had an opportunity to go home, open up my laptop
and try dconf as Michael said, but gconf doesn't do the job anymore
since F15.

Cool script though. I'll spend some time on this today and let you
know the new command-line.

Jitesh