package (tinyca2) not longer present in F15, what to do about it?

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 12:10:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 22:42 +0200, J.Witvliet at mindef.nl wrote:
> -----Original Message----- From: users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org
> [mailto:users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Frantisek
> Hanzlik Sent: maandag 1 augustus 2011 03:52 To: Fedora users Subject:
> package (tinyca2) not longer present in F15, what to do about it?
>
> For years before and up to F14 Fedora was contained package 'tinyca2'
> (TinyCA is a graphical tool to manage a small Certification Authority,
> program was in group Applications/Internet). This package is missing in
> F15, Technical Notes not mention nothing about this:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Technical_Notes/index.html
>
> I was using it for years and it's IMO usefull program for anyone who
> works with certificates. For now I simple build this package for F15
> from its F14 SRPMS, but it would be better when this package was in
> Fedora distro again.
>
> What I can do for it?

The tinyca2 package was dropped from Fedora 15 because it has been
orphaned for quite some time (meaning that there is no one maintaining
it, making sure it gets updates and security fixes). If you want to take
over the maintenance of this package, please follow the steps outlined
at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Orphaned_package_that_need_new_maintainers#Claiming_Ownership_of_a_Deprecated_Package

I should note, however, that tinyca2 development appears dead upstream.
It last saw a release on July 25, 2006! So chances are good that it's no
longer safe for inclusion in Fedora. You probably want to give a look at
Dogtag: http://pki.fedoraproject.org/wiki/PKI_Main_Page