Broadcom 4311 went missing?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu Aug 11 20:26:45 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,
	I'll try and keep this long story short, and explain the subject line, ....

	Yesterday I was given a Compag Presario F700 laptop.  It was running
Vista with problems of intermittant hanging.

	I tested the memory with memtest86+ for 6+ hours (11 complete passes,
no errors).  I checked out the harddrive (120GB SATA) with smart and it
only has 1 remapped sector, and no other obvious problems.

	So, I installed F14.x86_64.  Vanilla install, wiped everything else off
the computer, let the installer partition/format/install what it needed to.

	Seemed to work, the system booted, but the wireless was not working.
lspci showed it to be a Broadcom 4311 (rev 2) chip.  Some Googling
around showed that I needed to install the wl driver, so I configured
rpmfusion repos and installed it.  After a short period, NM found it and
showed me the surrounding networks, so I disconnected the ethernet and
connected to my wireless.  I worked for 5+ hours on this laptop before
suspending it for the night (I closed the lid, that suspended the laptop).

	When I got up today and restored from suspend, the wireless remained
disabled.  A couple of reboots did not bring the wireless connection
back!  After some fruitless re-installs of kmod-wl, I discovered that
lspci no longer tells me that I have a wireless chip.  Indeed, when I
look back into /var/log/messages for the latest reboot, there is no
longer any detection of the chipset when I boot.  Yet, I can clearly see
where the chipset was detected yesterday when I booted before installing
the wl drivers!  I've played with the enable/disable wireless switch on
the front of the laptop, but nothing I do seems to lets the latest F14
kernel detect the wireless controller anymore.

	My first question is:	Could this be heat related?
	My second question is:	Could this be due to me suspending
				the laptop last night instead of just
				shutting it down?
	My third question is:	How can I get it back????

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net