Growing frustration with Gnome Shell

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 08:47:35 UTC 2011

On 11 August 2011 18:10, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 11.08.2011 18:52, schrieb Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak:
>> On 08/11/2011 12:44 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
>>> I've been using Gnome Shell since the alphas of F15 and I keep hoping
>>> that a few things get fixed.  I don't know if they're general problems
>>> or widespread. I've make a point of putting things in Bugzilla.  But, my
>>> problems are not going away.
>>
>> Maybe try another video card (one that uses a different driver)
>
> it is simply UNACCEPTABLE writing a linux-desktop where you have
> troubles with most video cards. there are enough of them where
> no linux drivers exists and now even cards where one exists
> are borked with a standard-desktop because some developers
> are thinking it is cool rely on 3D-crap
>
> sorry but this is driving on a street to nowhere!

Maybe I wasn't clear. There is obviously a problem somewhere, but it
is also clearly specific to something on Steven Stern's system. To
identify where the problem lies you need to start eliminating causes.
The video card and driver are obvious candidates and if there's
something wrong there it should be fixed. However, how do you know
there's something wrong? You swap out the suspect components. But
since the OP doesn't have alternative graphics hardware to try I
suggested trying the lowest common denominator driver instead, which,
in fact, would be a fairly low requirement if Gnome 3 did work on it
anyway.

Besides, it's 2011. "3D-crap" is going to be available on any modern
computer and there's no reason a modern desktop-targetted system
should ignore it. Compiz (which has nicer "3D crap" than Gnome3) was
happily running on my systems (including a cheap laptop) 4 years ago.
And if you do need to run on hardware that can't do it then there are
alternatives, the mainstream desktop shouldn't have to cater to the
lowest common denominator.

--
imalone