Hardware modem

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Aug 19 22:49:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:37:02 -0500 (CDT)
Lars Eighner <topper at larseighner.com> wrote:

> My question is about getting Fedora 15 to recognize a hardware modem and
> then setting up ppp "on demand" to use it.

I'm pretty sure you can do it with NetworkManager if you are in graphica
mode - by adding a connection and so on but the other way is to set it up
by hand via /etc/ppp which is the same basic ppp setup as BSD use - same
ppp dameon package and so on.

> I made the mistake of installing Fedora 15 with the GUI.  This only told me
> that my modem was "unplugged."  And I could not figure out how to drop out
> of the GUI to a command line terminal. So I overwrote the installation with

Start a terminal application or hit ctrl-alt-f2/f3/f4/.. for virtual
consoles. Setting the run level to 3 also gets you a more "traditional"
environment where you have to 'startx' to get X services.

If you are used to a more old fashioned X environmen you may find that
adding the XFCE or LXDE group to your mininal install gives you a desktop
environment which is rather more friendly to the 'I'll just start a
shell' universe.

Alan