telnet on local LAN question

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Aug 20 05:14:32 UTC 2011

On 8/18/2011 9:49 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

> Your earlier email indicates that to solve the mail/mailx between
> machines, I need comment out that line in sendmail.mc and I will get
> the results you indicated. Sure worth a try, let me give it a go.

Craig:

I comment out the 127.0.0.1 line in sendmail.mc as suggested, did a
service sendmail restart

I added a line in access for "Connect:192.168.2 RELAY" to match the
format of the existing entries. All the other entries were Relay and so
were all the online docs I could find.

I did this on two machines (sender and receiver)

I did a mail from one machine to another and got a "No route to host".

I then did a service iptables stop and tried again ... got a "Connection
refused"

Netstat -an | grep 25 gives me the same output as your email shows.
Iptables -L also gives me the same output.

Either I missed something in your email(s) or I am back to the concern
that "I am doing what I should do but something is blocking" ... which
is what I am trying to sort out with the telnet test.

If you need attachments / output from my system, let me know and I will
forward.

If I am taking up too much of your bandwidth I will understand if you
bail on this. I feel like I might be in over my head (aka: dense) and
I'm just not getting it

Thanks,
Paul

ps: I hope there are no typos in this or my tests ... I double-checked
but my track record isn't that good