emacs won't start unless I speciffy font

Martín Marqués martin.marques at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 11:51:16 UTC 2011

2011/8/22 Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com>:
> On 08/22/2011 12:57 AM, Martín Marqués wrote:
>> I'm trying to start emacs on a fresh F15 install and I get this:
>>

>> $ emacs
>> Font `8x13' is not defined
>>
>> The only posible thing I found is to use --font to specify another font.
>>
>> Any ideas on why this happens?
>
> You're probably missing the xorg-x11-fonts-misc package

Thanks alot Andrew!! That fixed it!

One thought: Why isn't xorg-x11-fonts-misc a requirement for emacs, as
it doesn't start without it? Else, emacs default configuration should
change to some font which is installed by default.

Also, the emacs error was quite cryptical. WTF is "Font '8x13' "?

Thanks anyway!

--
Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador