howto lock DNS number in /etc/resolv.conf

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 23 04:49:56 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-21 at 11:44 -0400, james tate wrote:
> I have been through that damn router two times and I can not find out
> why or how it comes up with;
>
> domain= 2wire.net
> search = 2wire.net
> nameserver 172.16.0.1   (which is the gateway of the router)
>
> 2wire.net is the website of modem manufacturer , not a DNS serve.
> This is causing conflicts with a number of website. It can not get the
> DNS numbers.

My guess would be that their router acts as a DHCP and DNS server for
your LAN, and gives its DHCP clients a domain name to go along with
their hostname that oughtn't to cause problems with the WWW.

For instance, many people make up a fake domain name for their LAN, and
accidentally create one the same as someone else.  Then, when they think
they're accessing my-computer.example.com on their LAN, they're actually
connecting up to something else on the internet.

I'd make an educated guess that the router manufacturer was trying to
circumvent that problem by specifying a real domain name, one
that /they/ own, so they're allowed to make use of it.

The router would act as a DNS server for your LAN, answering queries
about addresses on the internet.  And, maybe, also resolving names and
IPs of machines on your LAN.

Other messages have explained what the search and domain parameters are
used for (appending to queries where you've not bothered to type a
domain name onto the end of a hostname).  If you can't change them, you
could simply make use of them.

But, given that you haven't found a way to change those parameters, and
it only offers useless WEP encrypting, and you say you want to replace
it, I'd recommend doing so.

In the meantime, try browsing the routers configuration pages with a
different browser.  Perhaps some JavaScript routine is needed to get
through to an advanced configuration page, that isn't showing up in your
current browser.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686