Non-native RPM or compile?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 00:47:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
<mellertson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/23/2011 07:11 PM, Lars Eighner wrote:
>> I want lifeline (genealogy program). I don't find it packaged for Fedora 15.
>> I do find an OpenSuSE rpm, apparently appropriate for my architecture.
>>
>> In general, would I be better off using a non-native RPM or compiling it
>> myself?
>>
> It depends on the libraries it was compiled ageist. What I usually
> do is grab the source RPM, and compile it on my system. You run into
> less problems that way.

+1 for this method but watch the output from rpmbuild carefully or
better yet build it under mock so you get a nice log file. Some of the
libraries are have different names and some of the macros are
different so depending how the spec file is written you could still
run into problems.

Richard