Personal VPN on Fedora

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 16:17:15 UTC 2011

2011/8/24 Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

> Manuel Escudero wrote:
>
> >> I'm puzzled by this thread.
> >> It doesn't seem to me to be too difficult to set up an OpenVPN server,
> >> following the instructions in /usr/share/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/ .
> >>
> >> Or are you all trying to do something else?
>
> > The idea was to get an easy solution to mount a personal VPN
> > in Linux using an external "pre-arranged" solution such as those
> > you might use on windows or mac, (HotspotShield/TunnelBear).
>
> I'm still puzzled, almost certainly due to my ignorance.
> What exactly is a "personal VPN"?
> Is OpenVPN a "personal VPN"?
>
> As far as I can see, Hotspot Shield and Tunnel Bear
> are both running VPN servers, on a free/commercial basis,
> and if you subscribe to them you can run a VPN client
> which communicates with or through them.
> Or have I got that wrong?
>
> > See, Win/Mac users don't mount their own VPN servers when they
> > wanna use VPN because of those apps, I found a solution like
> > that but for Linux, and that was what I was looking for in the first
> > place.
>
> It's not really clear to me what this has to do with Linux or Windows.
> In fact, from a very quick glance at their bumpf,
> it seemed to me that Hotspot Shield probably is running a Linux VPN server.
>
> But I admit I'm far from expert on VPN.
>

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
>
> --

Made a little video tutorial about the easiest way to setup the
"Hostizzle" service in Linux (On Fedora KDE using NetworkManager)

Also I show how the tool works; Instructions in english are available
in video's description at Youtube:

http://youtu.be/gwhYl4QthO0

@Daniel: in KDE with NetworkManager I can leave SELinux Enabled and the Hozz
VPN Works :)

@Timothy: Yeah, HSS & TunnelBear both are using OpenVPN Linux Servers, the
thing is,
They're apps oriented for the final user, see:

To connect to a VPN (or parse your Internet Connection Trough one) you need
3 basic things:

1) The VPN Server (yours or external)

2) The VPN Software (OpenVPN for example)

3) The VPN Client (Kvpnc, NetworkManager)

The thing is, in Win & Mac, users just Download an app such as TunnelBear
for example
and install it with a "Next>Next>Next" tool, then just click ENABLE and
they're "magically"
browsing through VPN connection... They don't need to setup a private
server, then parse the
keys and the certificates, then install all the things, deal with config
files and so on...

I commited myself to the simple duty of finding something similar but for
linux and
Hostizzle (with a little help from other tools) seem to be the closest
alternative
to such software.

More clear? :)

Cheers.