Personal VPN on Fedora

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 02:18:41 UTC 2011

2011/8/24 Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>

> On Wednesday 24 August 2011 17:17:15 Manuel Escudero wrote:
> server,

> Sorry to drop in on this thread, but it seems that there is some
> misunderstanding here... ;-)
>
> Yes, apparently Manuel is trying to do something else, which has nothing to
> do
> with creating a VPN on Fedora. He just expressed himself poorly. Read
> below.

> As far as I looked at the HotspotShield and TunnelBear websites, they
> basically say:
>
> <quote>
> Q) What is TunnelBear?
> A) TunnelBear is the world’s easiest to use consumer VPN software that
> securely “tunnels” your internet connection to locations around the world.
>
> Q) How does TunnelBear work?
> A) TunnelBear creates a secure, encrypted connection between your computer
> and
> a server in the host country you want to connect to. This both protects
> your
> privacy allows you to simulate the internet experience from another
> country.
>
> Hotspot Shield:
>    * Secure your web session, data, online shopping, and personal
> information
> online with HTTPS encryption.
>    * Protect yourself from identity theft online.
>    * Hide your IP address for your privacy online.
>    * Access all content privately without censorship; bypass firewalls.
>    * Protect yourself from snoopers at Wi-Fi hotspots, hotels, airports,
> corporate offices.
> </quote>
>
> So it seems to me that TunnelBear and HotspotShield are commercial
> *proxy* *servers*, which clients use by connecting via the VPN.
>
> > > As far as I can see, Hotspot Shield and Tunnel Bear
> > > are both running VPN servers, on a free/commercial basis,
> > > and if you subscribe to them you can run a VPN client
> > > which communicates with or through them.
> > > Or have I got that wrong?
>
> You got it right. You get logged on their VPN, and they "guarantee" to
> clients
> anonymous access to the Internet, using their server as a proxy. The VPN is
> used in order to provide encrypted connection between the server and the
> client, and in addition to provide A&A via pay-for certificates.

> This part is a bit confusing. It seems that Manuel doesn't make a
> distinction
> between a VPN and these commercial proxy services. Win/Mac users that he
> speaks about do not create a VPN, they are just clients to the commercial
> VPN.
> So they do not need to set up any VPN server or something similar.
>
> AFAIK, if you sign up for this service and get a certificate, you should
> not
> need any special software to connect to the HS/TB VPN-s. NetworkManager
> should
> be able to connect to them automatically, if configured to use the
> [...]

Yep, what marko just said is most accurate about the technical
aspect of the whole thing... in one simple sentence: HSS, TunnelBear
Hostizzle, "and friends" are just services where someone mounts a VPN
and then simply share with the people some ways to access it, via free
or paid OpenVPN certificate packs wich contain a "ovpn" file to use in
the configuration via your native networking client (such as
networkmanager)...

Win/Mac solutions are "a little more packed"; In linux it requires some more
"setup steps" to work, but esentially it's the same.

So, yep I wasn't talking about CREATING my own VPN but finding
a service that let me connect to a "pre-mounted" VPN as I perfectly said in
the first
message I sent, (and nobody answered that), so I shared the solution I found
for the actual question.

C'ya! :)

--
Manuel Escudero