What tool shows /proc/net/nf_conntrack

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Aug 27 23:46:12 UTC 2011

I forwarded a port, using system-config-firewall.

The destination machine, not surprisingly, shows the IP address of the
firewall as the source of the connection. The goal is obtaining the
connection's real source IP. However, on the firewall the forwarded
connection isn't reported anywhere by netstat or ss.

After poking around, I found what I was looking for in
/proc/net/nf_conntrack. The forwarded connection was listed there, showing
the connection's real source IP.

But grepping through /proc/net/nf_conntrack seems to be rather quaint.
Neither netstat's nor ss's man page hint at any option that would report on
/proc/net/nf_conntrack in some user-friendly fashion. Is there some other
admin utility that does?